Manhattan is the most densely populated borough of the five boroughs in New York, NY. As considered the melting pot of America and rich in history and diversity, Manhattan is surrounded by the Hudson, East, and Harlem rivers and contains the world’s major commercial, financial and cultural centers. Manhattan is thought to be the heart of “the Big Apple,” filled with some of the most iconic sites in the world including Town Square, Central Park, Empire State Building, and Wall Street. A large borough with a fast-paced and high-end lifestyle, Manhattan is offers an endless list of activities from the night scene to art communities to dog-friendly activities.
Pet Laws in Manhattan
Almost every state or city in the country has laws about mandatory rabies vaccination and pet licensing. However, each state or city can have its own set of local pet laws. In New York City there are four important laws of which every pet owner should be aware.
- Rabies Vaccination
- New York State law requires that all dogs and cats be actively vaccinated against rabies, with the first vaccine being given no later than four months after birth and a second vaccine being given within 1 year of the first (New York State Public Health Law, Article 21, Title 4). Dogs and cats must receive further vaccines with a frequency based on the USDA licenses of the vaccines being used.
- Dog License
- New York State law requires that all dogs 4 months of age or older have a dog license (Consolidated Laws of New York, Agriculture & Markets, Article 7, Section 109). New York City law requires that all dogs owned in New York City have a dog license, no matter the age of the dog (New York City Health Code, Title IV, Article 161, Section 161.04). In New York City dogs must wear their metal license tag at all times when they are in public. The dog license application is available at New York City’s 311 website.
- Leash Law
- New York City law requires that dogs in public must be restrained on a leash that is no more than six feet long (New York City Health Code, Title IV, Article 161, Section 161.05). There is an exception for off-leash areas designated by the Department of Parks & Recreation. Please note that a current dog license and proof of current rabies vaccination status are required for dogs in off-leash areas designated by the Department of Parks & Recreation.
- Nuisance Law (aka “Pooper Scooper Law”)
- New York City was the first major city in the US to pass legislation requiring owners to pick up their dogs’ (and cats’) feces. The law actually states that dog and cat owners prevent their pets from making a nuisance (i.e. urinating or defecating) on public places or areas abutting public places. New York State law requires that anyone walking a dog remove and dispose of any feces deposited by their dog from any public area (Consolidated Laws of New York, Public Health Law, Article 13, Section 1, Title 1310).
Pet Friendly Activities in Manhattan
Location: 475 Riverside Drive, Ste 455, New York, NY 10115 (West side of Manhattan from 59th-155th St)
330 acres of pet-friendly greenspace with paths, dog runs and Hudson River breezes
Location: 44th Street and 12th Avenue, New York, NY
In the Maritime Entertainment District you will have a beautiful view of the U.S.S. Intrepid and the Hudson River while your dogs are exercising and meeting friends
Pet Friendly Restaurants in Manhattan
Location: W 70th St & Riverside Park South
A Cafe in Riverside Park South that offers fresh food with open air seating, scenic river views and dramatic sunsets.
Location: 476 Amsterdam Ave., New York, NY 10024
Fred’s Restaurant is named after a female black Labrador Retriever. Fred was bred by the dedicated people at Guiding Eyes for the Blind, based in Yorktown, New York. This wonderful organization’s sole purpose is to breed dogs for their important role as guides and companions for the visually impaired.
Location: 628 10th Ave, New York, NY 10036
Enjoy a nice brunch or dinner at this farm-to-table concept restaurant with your dog if you can get seating at their small outdoor space
Location: 414 West 42nd Street, New York, NY 10036
This restaurant has been in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood for the past 30 years! If you can get outdoor seating you can enjoy the delicious French cuisine with your companion.
Pet Friendly Accommodations in Manhattan
Location: 2178 Broadway at W 77th Street, New York, NY 10024
Tucked away in the Upper West Side, Arthouse Hotel New York City occupies a unique space in the landscape of NYC. While walking distance from Central Park, Lincoln Center, the Museum of Natural History, and numerous city subways, our location is also a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle.
Location: 44 W 63rd St., New York, NY 10023
Residing at the gateway to the Upper West Side, The Empire Hotel reflects the earth tones and modernism of our illustrious neighbors, Central Park and Lincoln Center. Our New York Hotel offers sophisticated comfort and bold décor amongst many of our upscale amenities and superior guest services.
Location: 653 11th Avenue, New York NY 10036
Upscale style and stunning views of the city or the Hudson River (or both) from the majority of their guest rooms make for an unforgettable retreat. They offer pet amenities and there is no extra charge for your pet's stay!
Location: 400 West 42nd Street, New York, NY 10036
In the middle of Times Square you can enjoy the convenience of being close to major public transportation hubs if you stay at this hotel. Your dog must be 25 pounds or less to stay here.
Recommended Pet Services in Manhattan
Location: 827 10th Ave, New York, NY 10019
The pet spa offers dog and cat grooming and well-liked by our clients
Location: 620 W 42nd St, New York, NY 10036
They offer day care, boarding, grooming, and training for dogs.
Pet Stores and Supplies in Manhattan
Location: 754 10th Ave #1, New York, NY 10019
Offering all kinds of toys, food, and treats for your canine and feline friends
Location: 525 W 45th St, New York, NY 10036
Offering variety of toys, food, and treats for your canine and feline friends.
Manhattan Demographics & Economic Data
Population as of 2007: 1,621,897
Males: 769,732 (47.5%)
Females: 852,165 (52.5%)
Median resident age: 35.7 years old
Estimated median household income in 2016: $77,559
10026, 10027, 10030, 10037, 10039, 10001, 10011, 10018, 10019, 10020, 10036, 10029, 10035, 10010, 10016, 10017, 10022, 10012, 10013, 10014, 10004, 10005, 10006, 10007, 10038, 10280, 10002, 10003, 10009, 10021, 10028, 10044, 10065, 10075, 10128, 10023, 10024, 10025, 10031, 10032, 10033, 10034, 10040
Home Prices in 2016
Estimated median house or condo value: over $1,000,000.
- All housing units: over $1,000,000
- Detached houses: $892,205;
- Townhouses or other attached units: over $1,000,000;
- In 2-unit structures: over $1,000,000;
- In 3-to-4-unit structures: over $1,000,000;
- In 5-or-more-unit structures: over $1,000,000;
- Mobile homes: $410,778;
- Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $761,656
Schools in Manhattan
Charter, Private & Non-Traditional Schools
- Manhattan Charter School
- Inwood Academy for Leadership Charter School
- Success Academy Charter Schools
- The Equity Project Charter School
- Harlem Children's Zone Promise Academy
- Global Community Charter School
- New York City Charter School of the Arts
- Manhattan Center for Science and Mathematics
- Manhattan Business Academy
- Manhattan Academy for Arts & Language
- Manhattan Bridges High School
- Manhattan School for Career Development
- Manhattan International High School
- Manhattan Village Academy
- Manhattan Early College School for Advertising
- Manhattan/Hunter Science High School
- Lower Manhattan Arts Academy
- Lower Manhattan Community Middle School
- M.S 224 Manhattan East School for Arts & Academics
- Middle School 322
- I.S 289
- M.S 131
- The Mott Hall School
- Yorkville East Middle School
- Harold O. Levy School
- STEM Institute of Manhattan
- P.S 333 Manhattan School for Children
- P.S 290 Manhattan New School
- Amistad Dual Language School
- P.S. 048 P.O. Michael J. Buczek
- Washington Heights Academy
- Dos Puentes Elementary School
- River East Elementary
- Manhattan Schoolhouse
- Manhattan Early Childhood Center
- Manhattan Nursery School
- UCP of NYC Manhattan UPK
- Riverside Montessori, Inc
- Sunshine LC of 3rd Ave.
- Prince Hall Colonial Park Day Care Center
- BMCC Early Childhood Center